History: Created out of Caln township, which was first laid out in 1714, with Peter Taylor as the first constable. The earliest taxable list for this area is included below.Taxables in 1715
Aaron Mendenhall, Thomas Moore, Peter Taylor. William Cloud, Isaac Vernon, Joseph Cloud, John Mendenhall, William Fleming, James Swaffer, William Taylor, John Parker, Daniel Smith, Philip Roman, Anthony Morris, Richard Webb
Landowners in 1774
Joseph Arbuckle; Joshua, John and William Baldwin; Henry Barker; William Barry; George Buchanan; Richard Buffington; John Carmichael; Rich Cheyne; James Clark; Jason Cloud; Thomas, Isaac and Moses Coates; Andrew Cox Mary Cox; Andrew, Samuel and John Culbertson; Robert Darlington; John, Joseph and Richard Downing; andrew Elliott; Robert Elton; Thomas Fisher; Alex., Joseph and Peter Fleming; John Gileylen; Isaac Green; Adam Guthry; James Guthry; James Hanson; Mary Hart; James Hood; Jona. Hoops; John Hoops; Samuel Hunt; William Iddings; Isabel, Arch., and Theop. Irwin; James and Charles Jack; David Jenkins; William Johnston; George Kennedy; Curtis Lewis; Henry Lewis; Obed Lewis; Robert and James Lockhart; Ludwick Liggett; William and Joseph Long; James McGlauhglin; James McKelby; Joseph McKinley; Griffith Mendenhall; Joshua Mendenhall; James an dMicahel Miller; Warwick Miller, Esq.; Anne Park; Abiah Parke; Jon. Parke; John Proudfoot; Hannah Pym; William Roberts; Samuel Rolliday; Rachel Roman; James Sheward; John Smith; James Stanley; Thomas Stalker; James Thompson; Samuel Thompson; William Todd; John Valentine; Robert Valentine; Robert Valentine, Jr.; John Walker; Isaac Webb; Thomas and Samuel White; William and Robert Wilson; Thomas Windle; Francis Zook.
Related Links for East Caln
East Caln Township
110 Bell Tavern Road
P. O. Box 232
Downingtown, PA 19335
Churches in East Caln
Central Presbyterian Church
100 Uwchlan Avenue, Downingtown, PA 19335 (610) 269-1576
Cemeteries in East Caln
Downingtown Friends Burial Ground
East Caln Friends Burial Ground
738 E. Lancaster Ave.
1 Norwood House Rd., Downingtown, 19335 (610) 269-1598
Historic Places in East Caln
General Washington Inn
Uwchlan and E. Lancaster Aves. Downingtown
Originally opened by John Downing in 1761 as the “King in Arms” or “King George” tavern, the Inn was renamed at the time of the Revolutionary War and served as a food commissary for the troops. John’s son, Hunt Downing, followed in his father’s footsteps as proprietor, and in 1798, opened Chester County’s first post office in one of the Inn’s rooms.
Hunt, Roger, Mill
Race St. Downingtown